Friday, October 22, 2010

Off to London!


After I rather sadly said my goodbyes to the city of lights, we boarded the Eurostar and headed to London. This is a picture taken inside the Kings Cross St Pancras Eurostar station ... exceedingly civilised with a modern interior ... quite a far cry from the Paris Gare Du Nord station, I must say ...


And here is a pic of the inside of the London Tube! It's easily one of my fav underground trains in some of the major cities I've visited. I'm amazed that despite the underground being such an old system ... perhaps one of the oldest in the world, it is still so well kept and maintained (excluding the strikes that consistently occur). Look at this ... does this look 147 years old (the underground apparently began operations in 1863!)? I'm impressed!


After settling into our hotel, I made my way to one of the most famous shopping streets in London - Oxford Street, at Oxford Circus Station ... just look at those glorious buildings!



Is that a Cath Kidston bag I spy? :)


As I walked past Topshop, Miss Selfridges, Warehouse, Oasis, Accessorize, Marks & Spencers, Dorothy Perkins, I was seized by a sense of coming home ... then I realised why! All these were shops I could find in Orchard Rd back in Singapore! Because of Singapore's British colonial past, London seemed oddly familiar ...

And here's a pic of Regent Street, just perpendicular to Oxford Street, at Oxford Circus ...


And one building and shop that London had which I wished Singapore had was ...

LIBERTY!

Look at this beautiful grand dame ...


I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to Liberty. I loved going up the old creaky staircase, browsing through the different rooms on each floor. I especially loved loved loved the wonderful vintage section on the ground floor! I have never ever seen a vintage section in a department store before, and this was beautiful! They had gorgeous bags from the 1950s and 1960s, each with a tag which told a little story/background about the bag. There were Gucci bags from the 1960s etc. What an absolutely lovely section in a wonderful store!


After walking around for practically the whole day (with a light snack - a crayfish sandwich from Pret-A-Manger), we decided it was time for dinner. And given all that we had heard about curry being the English National Dish, we thought we'd try some :)

First up: A fish curry .. the green is actually from mint.
We were really impressed by this dish ... it was so spicy that even I, who pride myself in being able to take really spicy food, had to take several gulps of cooling lemonade after just one bite of this curry! And although it looked like this would have a very strong mint flavour, the mint was barely noticeable (and I'm not normally a fan of mint).


Next up: Chicken Tikka Masala ...


A vegetable curry dish ...


And I ordered a plain naan to go with the curry, while Hubby had rice.


All in all, this was an absolutely satisfying meal!





No comments:

Post a Comment