Friday, May 6, 2011

Peranakan Museum, Singapore


Inspired by all the sarong kebayas I had seen in that beautiful shop in Malacca, I decided to pay a visit to the Peranakan Museum in Singapore as they were coincidentally having a special sarong kebaya exhibition.



This particular collection featured mainly white kebayas. Just look at the beautiful embroidery!


I did a double take when I saw this sarong ... it's actually a depiction of the fairy tale - Cinderella! How fascinating! What an unusual batik print ... so different from the typical batik flower prints ...


While I love kebayas with their beautiful colours and gorgeous embroidery, I've not been too keen on the sarong skirts, but I was drawn to these lovely sarongs ... aren't the colours and prints so pretty?


I had initially walked past these tablecloths thinking they were either printed or embroidered. Then my mom told me they were beaded! Yes, really! Isn't it amazing that the Peranakan women then made such beautiful intricate and rich beaded tablecloths then?



A vintage Singer sewing machine, an identical one of which my mom has and still uses today.




No comments:

Post a Comment