Thursday, December 3, 2009

Gorgeous Kingfisher Feather Jewelry!!!!


I was just writing an email to a friend who had recently added jewelry to her product line. Being new to blogging, I had been trying to share her jewelry with friends by email as I felt her jewelry line is not only beautiful but unique and rare. Then I realised I could perhaps reach out to more people via a blog entry, so here it is!

Dawn is a New Yorker who introduced me to the beauty of kingfisher feather jewelry which she discovered while she was living in Tpe (that's how we met). And being into jewelry myself, I found this particular type of jewelry very interesting. Not only is it very rare as kingfisher birds are a protected species, but this kind of jewelry was so precious it was only worn by the rich and upper class of the Chinese court officials, mainly during the Qing dynasty. Sadly, the art of painstakingly putting together individual kingfisher feathers to create a piece of jewelry/artwork is now extinct. As such, these pieces are truly one-of-a-kind.

What I like about Dawn's collection is that she has taken a very traditional piece of jewelry and transformed it with her NY aesthetics into something modern and infinitely wearable today, all the while maintaining the beauty of the kingfisher feather. To wear a piece fm Dawn's collection is like wearing a piece of Chinese history... with a modern twist. My favourite piece is the "Mysterious Beauty" - I just fell in love with the colour combination. I'd never have thought that pink could go so well with turquoise!

So, please do visit her website www.dawnnakamura.com to view her beautiful classic yet modern collection of kingfisher feather jewelry, and check out all the lovely furniture she designs as well!

PS. This picture is taken of a pair of earrings which I managed to "nab" from her private collection ... gorgeous aren't they? Lucky me!!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment