Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Back to Osaka - Club Harie


Special mention of Club Harie's Baumkuchen - a round version of our Singaporean kueh lapis. This is sooooo good that it needs its own post!

From previous experiences trying this type of cake, I found it way too sweet or too dense. But this one from Club Harie takes the cake! (Pun intended!). It is so very light, yet moist, and the sugar coating is not cloyingly sweet. In the words of Goldilocks, it is "Just Right"!

Here's a pic of one of their patissiers with the cake in its entirety. She's slicing the cake into various thicknesses for sale. Prices depend on the thickness of each slice. The smallest one we bought to try was JPY680.



I must apologise again for the lack of photos. I had intended to take more photos when I went back to buy some to bring back home. However, I found that these cakes needed to be consumed on the day of purchase, and I was afraid that freezing them would make them less delicious, so decided not to buy them, and hence, the lack of photos.

Nevertheless, I did manage to find Club Harie's website (albeit in Japanese) where you will be able to find more pics of their special Baumkuchen, which is one of the best I've had - much better IMO than the famous one in Hokkaido. So, if you're ever in Osaka, visit the basement of Hanshin Dept Store and queue up for a slice of this delicious cake! Definitely a MUST TRY!


No comments:

Post a Comment